Thursday, September 15, 2011

Virginian-Pilot Beacon article of September 4, 2011

Write what you know, they say – and that’s exactly what she did

By Danielle N. Coley
Correspondent
_______

LYNNHAVEN
            It’s been said that an author’s best material comes from the experiences of his or her own life. True to form, Deerwood Trace resident Tonya Trimble compiled the tales from her own life and developed her first novel, “Curiosity With a Capital S.”
            Released in early August, the book tells the adventures and mishaps of the principal character, Stan, and his little sister, Tracy. Each chapter begins with a sketch drawing of a character or scene that foreshadows what is to come, giving particular detail to the look and feel of life in America circa World War II.
            Trimble, a retired teacher from John B. Dey Elementary School, initially had no intention to write a novel. The Tulsa native just loved to tell a great story, she said.
            “In Oklahoma, I was asked to teach a creative writing course. In order to teach the skills needed in creative writing, I would use adventure stories from my own childhood. Eventually, I had come up with a full manuscript.”
            For years, Trimble’s manuscript was met with several rejection slips. She postponed her dreams, moved to Virginia to care for her ailing parents and went back to teaching. Rebecca Nielsen, a parent of one of her students, prompted Trimble to try her hand once more.
            “My daughter Brianna was a student of Ms. Trimble’s, and I remember her coming home and telling me about these adventures she had heard about in class, “ Nielsen said. “That’s when I reached out.”
            Nielsen, also a former educator, used the manuscript as a study tool for her students at Star of the Sea Parish for seven years. Through the connection of a friend of hers, Nielsen was able to get Trimble’s book published.
            “The publishers loved the book,” Trimble said. “They wanted it to have an old-fashioned look and feel, so they helped me hire the illustrator, Ted Enik, who is most known for his work on the Magic School Bus series. I feel quite blessed that he liked the book enough to work with us.”
            Since the book’s release, Trimble has had two book signings, with three more planned for her hometown, Tulsa, this month. Reviews have been favorable as well.
            One from 10-year-old Christa Van Geluwe was particularly heartwarming to Trimble:
            “In one work to describe this book I would say ‘descriptive.’ Because this book was so descriptive, I felt as if I were on the adventures with Stan and Tracy.”
            These days, Trimble is busy writing a sequel, “Curiosity With a Capital T,” after the book’s other character, Tracey.
            “When I read these stories to my students, I’d always encourage them to write the author about what they thought of the book,” Nielsen said. “Almost all of my students would suggest that she write a sequel, and now she’s finally writing one.”

Danielle N. Coley, daniellecoley88@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment