Monday, February 6, 2012

Author's Update

December and January were active months for me as I had the privilege of discussing Curiosity With a Capital S in several elementary schools in the Virginia Beach, Virginia area. The first stop at John B. Dey Elementary back in mid-December allowed me to focus on the creative writing process and the path one takes to publish a book with the bright, eager fourth graders in attendance. By the end of our all too short time together, it was evident the school is meeting the educational commitment to empower each student “with the knowledge, skills, and self-confidence necessary to meet the challenges of the future.” The Seagulls of John B. Dey are certainly flying high!

 Right on the heels of the John B. Dey visit, I received a request from Hermitage Elementary to provide a similar discussion for two of the fifth grade classes. Home of the Vikings, I received a welcome as warm and inviting as any I’ve experienced. Once again the students were a thoughtful, energetic group as curious as Stan! Educating this group of “students to become responsible and productive members of the global community” as Hermitage’s mission statement proclaims must be a true joy for the faculty.

Following the holiday season, Linkhorn Park Elementary scheduled two amazing days with six of their fourth grade classes and seven groups of their fifth graders. “The pride of the beach” welcomed me with a personalized marquee out front and an exhilarating experience inside their doors. Home of the Lions, the children once again amazed me with their insightful, probing questions. I was truly humbled once again at the remarkable work yet another faculty of dedicated professionals is doing “to promote academic, physical and social excellence by providing a challenging educational environment.”

I can only hope my visit to each of these schools will lead to some future authors! It certainly reaffirmed the raw curiosity animated in the series of tales contained within the cover of Curiosity With a Capital S is alive and well in the next generation. Fortunately for all of us, there also appears to be an overwhelming number of educational professionals who encourage questioning attitudes and are willing to arrange unique educational experiences. I certainly enjoyed being permitted these wonderful opportunities!

No comments:

Post a Comment